
Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Ilocos Norte Getaway Awaits!
Escape to Paradise: Your DREAM Ilocos Norte Getaway… Or Is It? A Candid Review
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because I'm back from my "dream" trip to Ilocos Norte, and I'm ready to spill the tea. Or, you know, the tubig (water) in the complimentary bottle that's probably been sitting in my hotel room fridge since the dawn of time. This is gonna be less a polished travel brochure and more a rambling, truth-telling account of Escape to Paradise – the hotel that promised me zen and delivered… well, mostly zen.
(SEO Time! Keywords, baby!): Escape to Paradise, Ilocos Norte, Hotel Review, Philippines, Accessibility, Spa, Swimming Pool, Restaurant, Wifi, Family Friendly, Cleanliness, Safety, Reviews, Best Hotels, Ilocos Travel, Vacation, Getaway, Beach Resort, Budget Travel, Luxury Travel)
First Impressions - The Arrival & the Hustle:
Getting there was a journey, let me tell you. The airport transfer they offer? Smooth as silk. The driver was a lifesaver, especially after the 7-hour bus ride from Manila. (Pro tip: avoid the 6 AM bus unless you're fluent in the language of snoring.) The car park [on-site] was a welcome sight after the pandemonium of the airport. And the valet parking? A touch of class, even though I'm usually in jeans and a faded band tee.
The front desk [24-hour] was… there. They were efficient, bless their hearts. But "warm" wasn't exactly the word. More like, “Here's your room key, salamat (thank you) and enjoy.” I felt a little like a cog in the well-oiled tourist machine. They did, however, offer contactless check-in/out, which felt like a win in these COVID times. They also had CCTV in common areas and security [24-hour], which is reassuring for the paranoid traveler (aka me).
Accessibility - A Mixed Bag, Sadly:
Okay, listen up, because this is important. The brochure boasts Facilities for disabled guests, which is good to see, but it's hard to confirm without some real info. I didn't see ramps everywhere, or anything that screamed "accessible" right off the bat. I'm not using a wheelchair myself so I can't give a complete assessment, but more concrete examples would be great. And seriously, any place that doesn't have accessible bathrooms in 2024 should be ashamed of themselves.
Rooms - The Good, The Bad, and the Oh God, is that a cockroach?
My room? Available in all rooms. (Insert shrug emoji). Air conditioning was a non-negotiable lifesaver in the Ilocos heat. The blackout curtains were glorious, allowing for some serious sleep-in action. The slippers were a nice touch. The daily housekeeping didn’t miss a single crumb (except maybe those the size of my thumb that could have been hiding under the bed – I'm talking about you).
Now, the bathroom… It was functional, with complimentary toiletries, but the water pressure? Let's just say I've seen more powerful garden hoses. And the hair dryer – bless its little plastic heart – was about as effective as blowing on a bonfire. Speaking of hair, I’m pretty sure whoever cleaned this room forgot to clean the hair from the separate shower/bathtub.
The Internet access – wireless was free (woohoo Wi-Fi [free]!), and it worked most of the time. Internet access – LAN access was available also. However, I did find myself wandering into the lobby at 3 AM because I was so desperate to get a decent signal.
Food Glorious Food… Or Not?
The restaurants are decent. The Asian cuisine in restaurant was good. The Western cuisine in restaurant was…well, let’s just say it tried. I stuck to the Asian breakfast most mornings because the breakfast [buffet] was a lukewarm assortment of… stuff. The coffee/tea in restaurant was good. The bottle of water? Always appreciated, especially after a long day in the sun. I ate a salad in restaurant. I'm always ready to eat a soup in restaurant. I skipped the desserts in restaurant since they’re probably imported. Coffee shop? Didn't see one, though a caffeine drip might have been a good option. There were also poolside bars.
Room service [24-hour]? Thank goodness for that. Because sometimes, after a day of exploring, you just want to eat a soup in restaurant in your PJs while watching questionable TV. The snack bar came in handy.
Things to Do – Relaxation (Mostly) Achieved:
The swimming pool [outdoor]? Gorgeous. The pool with view? Instagrammable. The sauna? Relaxing. The spa? Yes, please! I indulged in the massage, which almost made me forget about the cockroach that I swear I saw. The steamroom was divine. The foot bath was lovely. No body scrub or body wrap though.
The fitness center was… functional. The equipment looked like it had been around since the last century, but at least it was there to keep you moving during vacation.
Cleanliness & Safety - The New Normal:
Hand sanitizer was everywhere. Daily disinfection in common areas was noticeable. They used anti-viral cleaning products. The staff were trained in safety protocol. My room was rooms sanitized between stays. All Sanitized kitchen and tableware items were present.
For the Kids - Family Friendly, But…
They advertised Family/child friendly stuff and baby-sitting service. Didn't see a ton of kids facilities, but hey, the pool is a great babysitter, right?
Overall Vibe - Is It Paradise?
Look, Escape to Paradise is not a bad hotel. It's clean, generally comfortable, and the staff is trying. But it’s not quite the idyllic paradise it promises. Some parts feel a little… tired. A little… impersonal. I’d give it a solid 3.7 stars (on a good day, before I found that cockroach). Would I go back? Maybe. If I needed an easy, hassle-free Ilocos trip with a good pool, I’d certainly consider it. Just bring your own hair dryer, your own optimism, and maybe some industrial-strength bug spray. And good luck getting onto the Wi-Fi. It's a battle.
Houghton Lake Getaway: Unbeatable Super 8 Deals! (MI)
Alright, buckle up buttercups! Because we're about to dive headfirst into the chaotic, sun-kissed, and potentially sand-filled reality that is my Playa Tropical Resort escape in Ilocos Norte. This isn't some glossy brochure – this is the REAL DEAL, unfiltered and brimming with questionable life choices and a healthy dose of "Oh, crap, what have I gotten myself into?"
The Playa Tropical Fiasco: A Stream of Consciousness Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival of the Slightly Unhinged (and a Ton of Luggage)
- 7:00 AM - 7:30 AM: Manila Morning Mayhem: OMG, getting to the airport was a comedy of errors. First, the Grab driver was convinced I was going to the wrong airport (and he almost succeeded in convincing me, tbh). Then, the security line? A swirling vortex of stressed-out travelers, screaming babies, and that one guy who always holds up the line because he's carrying enough liquids for a small chemical spill. Seriously, people, invest in travel-sized toiletries!
- 7:30 AM - 9:00 AM: Flight of the Frazzled (and the Aircon Blues): The flight! It was fine, I guess. Slept for the whole way. The aircon was on full blast though, I swear I lost a layer of skin.
- 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM: Arrival in Laoag, Ilocos Norte (and Questioning My Life Choices): Landed in Laoag! The airport? Adorable. Small, quaint, and clearly not used to handling a person with this much luggage. Seriously, I packed like I was auditioning for a Survivor reality show. Finding a ride to the resort? A negotiation for the ages with the tricycle driver who smelled suspiciously like garlic and…I dunno, diesel fumes? The drive was a bit bumpy.
- 11:00 AM - 12:00 AM: Playa Tropical Resort: The "Welcome," the Room, and The Deep Breath: Finally arrived. Check-in was smooth, thankfully. The resort itself is… well, "tropical." Palm trees, a pool that looked inviting (but I'm still unsure if I trust my feet with that water), and a general vibe of "relax, you deserve it."
- The Room! Oh my god. So, my first impression? It's clean! And the view from the balcony? Spectacular. I love the ocean. I love it. The pillows though…they are like bricks. Guess I'm staying with my back for the week.
- 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM: Lunch Interlude (and Judging the Buffet): Okay, the buffet. This deserves its own section. First, the good news: they had a lumpia. Second, the bad news: it was a little bland, but hey, it's free! I'm easily pleased, especially after a morning of travel chaos. And then the real test…the coffee. Not good. Probably going to be running on adrenaline.
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Pool Patrol (and Sunburn Alert): I went to the pool and it was beautiful, but I am so so white that I lasted no more than 20 minutes. The sun is brutal. Learned a lesson here.
- 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Exploration, or the Beginning of Indecision: Wandered around for a bit. This resort has so many charming nooks and crannies. Found a hammock, and tried to embrace the "Zen" life. Did not last very long because the bugs were relentless, and I'm a mosquito magnet.
- 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM: Dinner and the Sunset Spectacle: Dinner at a beachfront restaurant. Food was great after complaining about them earlier. The sunset was glorious! I could have sworn the sky actually melted. A truly soul-satisfying moment. Just me, the sea, and a plate of grilled fish.
Day 2: The Beach, the Boogie, and the Bug-Eyed
- 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM: Breakfast (and a renewed coffee trial): The coffee is still horrible. I'm beginning to think it's some local prank. I did manage to snag some toast this time though.
- 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Beach Day (and a Lesson in Self-Reliance): Okay, the beach. The actual beach. I decided to brave the waves. The sand is so white and the water is so clear! But here's the thing, I am a bit clumsy. Fell, got sand everywhere. Regrouped, tried again, found all kinds of seaweed and sea creatures. I actually saw a starfish. This is a success.
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Lunch (and a slight food coma): Back to the buffet, but this time, I was smart. More lumpia, less coffee, and a lot of fruit. Now feeling very full.
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Massage Bliss (and the Struggle to Relax): Booked a massage. The massage was INCREDIBLE. Now that's what I'm talking about! The masseuse had hands of pure magic. My only struggle? Staying awake. I think I dozed off then startled myself awake with a snort.
- 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Exploring Around (and the Discovery of Bugs): Now, this is where things got…interesting. I decided to go for a walk again. Went out for a walk to a path that was leading to a secluded part of beach. It also led to a veritable swarm of mosquitos and other insectoid creatures that I could not identify, but I will say that they were very annoying. My skin! I had to retreat.
- 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM: Dinner and the Karaoke Catastrophe: Dinner, again! But this time, the resort had karaoke. I thought it would be fun. I was wrong. I'm not gonna get into specifics -- the microphone will never forgive me for what I did to "Bohemian Rhapsody." Let's just say, the audience was… surprisingly polite, and moved mostly to go home early.
Day 3: Adventures, Awkward Moments, and The (Possible) Sand Crab Tango
- 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM: Breakfast (and the realization that my pants are too tight): Same breakfast, different slightly-too-tight pants. I need to stop eating so much.
- 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Beach Adventure (and the Sand Crab Tango): Decided to go back to the beach. This time, I was on a mission: find a sand crab. Finally spotted one scurrying across the sand. I attempted to dance with it but it dug into the sand very quickly and hid. The sand won.
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Lunch (and a desperate plea to the buffet gods): This is getting repetitive.
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Resort Exploration (and the hunt for something to occupy the mind): Went to the shop. Not much there. Walked to the beach and enjoyed the waves, but I have been feeling so bored. Maybe I need to find some company?
- 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Pool again (and a sunburn reapplication): Refused to get burned again so stayed in the water…
- 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM: Dinner and the Evening Entertainment Disaster: Trying to escape the buffet, I went outside the resort. Ate some fish soup and a lot of garlic rice. Got back and they had the same music. I tried to sleep but was very annoyed so just wrote.
Day 4-7: The Descent into Unadulterated Relaxation (and the Fear of Leaving)
- Essentially, the remaining days blurred into a delightful haze of pool time, beach walks (sans sand crab tango, sadly), buffet strategizing, and the gradual acceptance that maybe, just maybe, I wasn't meant to actually do anything. I got used to the terrible coffee. I got used to the bugs. I even found a friend in that one guy who always holds up the buffet line (turns out, he's a sweet guy). I am pretty sure this is what heaven is like.
- Departure: The worst part. Saying goodbye to the ocean, the sun, and the general feeling of doing absolutely nothing and loving it. But I swore to myself. A vacation like this again is definitely a must for my soul.
Final Thoughts:
This trip wasn't perfect. It had its share of mishaps, awkward moments, and questionable karaoke performances. But that's exactly what made it perfect. It was real. It was messy. And it was exactly what my frazzled soul needed.
Would I go back? In a heartbeat. Maybe I'll even learn to
Escape to Texas Charm: La Quinta Inn & Suites Cleburne Awaits!
Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Ilocos Norte Getaway Awaits! (Or Will It?) - Let's Get Real About This...
Okay, spill it. Is Ilocos Norte *really* as dreamy as those Instagram photos make it look?
Ugh, Instagram. The curse and the blessing of a travel planner's existence, right? Look, the short answer? Parts of it? YES. Absolutely, emphatically, YES. Saud Beach? Paradise found. Kapurpurawan Rock Formation? Jaw-dropping. The sand dunes? Magical. But...and there's always a "but," isn't there? ...it's not all airbrushed sunsets and flawlessly tanned influencers. I went last year, and the first thing that hit me when I got off the bus (more on THAT later) was the heat. Like, face-melting, "did I accidentally wander into a broiler" heat. So, pack accordingly. And maybe, just maybe, temper your expectations with a healthy dose of reality. It's beautiful, but it's also real life. You'll sweat. You might get a little sunburned. You might fight off a swarm of flies. Welcome to the party!
What's the best time of year to visit Ilocos Norte to avoid the dreaded heat? And the rain?
Okay, so, avoiding the heat is a noble quest. I'm with you. The "official" best time is generally considered to be the dry season, roughly November to May. But lemme tell you a secret... that "dry" season? Sometimes, it forgets to be dry. I went in April, convinced I was a genius. Perfect weather forecast! Except for the one epic downpour that trapped us in our homestay with a rapidly rising water level. (Our tricycle almost ended up a tiny sailboat). My recommendation? Honestly? Just pack for both. Embrace the layers, the sunscreen, and the potential for a little drizzle. And always, ALWAYS check the weather forecast *right* before you leave. Because Mother Nature has a wicked sense of humor. And bring a good umbrella. You’ll thank me later.
Okay, let's cut to the chase: Transportation! How do I get there, and how easy is it to get around once I arrive?
Ah, the joys of Philippine transportation. Getting *to* Ilocos Norte? You've got options! You can fly to Laoag International Airport, which is definitely the most convenient and, let's be honest, the *most sane* route. (Because buses... oh, buses. More on that trauma later, as is tradition.) Or, the more adventurous (and significantly more budget-friendly) souls can brave the bus. Victory Liner and Partas are your main players, but be prepared for a potentially *loong* journey. I'm talking overnight kind of long. Pack snacks, a good book, and a healthy dose of patience because the bus is going to get delayed... it just *will*. Trust me. It’s a rite of passage.
Once you're there? Tricycles are everywhere, that's your first and most reliable option, and they'll take you everywhere.
Jeepneys? They exist, but they're like the elusive unicorns of public transport.
What are the MUST-SEE sights in Ilocos Norte? Don't hold back!
Alright, alright, here's the tourist-trap rundown, but trust me, they're worth it, even if they're crowded. First, Saud Beach. Go. Seriously. It’s that perfect postcard beach. White sand, turquoise water. It's a little slice of heaven (unless you arrive during peak season, then it's a little slice of *crowded* heaven). Kapurpurawan Rock Formation is a must. It’s a stunning white rock formation shaped by the wind and waves. Photogenic doesn’t even begin to cover it. And yes, take a million pictures. You'll regret it if you don't. The Sand Dunes are a must-do adventure! Hire a 4x4 and go dune bashing. Pure adrenaline. Or, you can just sit and watch the sunset from the dunes and it's an experience like nothing else. Don’t forget the Cape Bojeador Lighthouse – the views are incredible. Oh! And MalacaƱang of the North. This is a landmark, and It's a nice little historical site and a view of the lake, and, you know, history. And finally, if you're feeling particularly adventurous (and brave!), consider climbing the Pagudpud Lighthouse! Just be prepared for a LOT of stairs. My legs still haven't forgiven me.
Food! What's the local grub I absolutely HAVE to try? I want the GOOD stuff.
Okay, food is *crucial*. Ilocos Norte is a foodie paradise. You're going to want to try:
- Bagnet: Crispy, deep-fried pork belly. It's the reason you'll loosen your belt a notch or two. It's everything you ever dreamed of in a crispy, fatty, porky form.
- Pinakbet: A vegetable stew with a salty, savory sauce. It's the perfect counterpoint to the bagnet.
- Dinengdeng: Similar to pinakbet, but with more variety in the vegetables (and sometimes, fish).
- Empanada: A savory turnover filled with longganisa, egg, and vegetables. Street Food Nirvana!
- Longganisa: Ilocos Norte's own version of sausage. Spicy, garlicky, and delicious. Especially good with garlic fried rice in the morning.
Accommodation: Any recommendations for where to stay? From budget-friendly to splurging?
Okay, lodging! This is where it gets interesting. For budget travelers, guesthouses and homestays are your best bet. They can be charming, quirky, and REALLY affordable... or they can be... well, a bit *rustic* shall we say? (My one experience involved a leaky roof and a surprisingly lively gecko population.) Research carefully! Search sites like Booking.com and Agoda, for a little bit of peace of mind and reliable reviews. If you're looking to splurge, there are some lovely resorts, particularly around Saud Beach. They'll be pricier, but you'll get those picture-perfect views and all the amenities. Just remember to book in advance, especially during peak season. Places fill up *fast*. I'm talking months in advance.
Okay, the bus. You mentioned it. Give me the full, unvarnished truth about taking the bus to Ilocos Norte. Should I just fly?Hotels Near Your


Post a Comment for "Escape to Paradise: Your Dream Ilocos Norte Getaway Awaits!"