
Uncover Crete's Hidden Gem: Senses Blue Boutique Hotel Awaits!
Crete, You Beauty! Senses Blue Boutique Hotel: A Review, Real Talk Edition
Alright, listen up, wanderlusters! You’re considering Crete? GOOD. And you're eyeing the Senses Blue Boutique Hotel? Double GOOD. Now, before you slap down your credit card, let's get real. I’ve been there, I’ve breathed the salty air, and I've got the tan (and the slightly sunburnt nose) to prove it. This ain't some sterile brochure, this is the truth, filtered through my caffeine-fueled, overthinking brain. Buckle up.
SEO & Metadata (Gotta Play the Game, Right?):
- Keywords: Senses Blue Boutique Hotel, Crete, Greece, Boutique Hotel, Luxury Hotel, Accessible Hotel, Heraklion, Mediterranean, Spa, Pool, Beach, Reviews, Travel, Accommodation, Wheelchair Accessible, Family-Friendly, Romantic Getaway, Food, Amenities, Wi-Fi, Cleanliness, Safety, Accessibility, Reviews.
- Meta Description: Honest and detailed review of the Senses Blue Boutique Hotel in Crete, Greece. Discover the good, the not-so-good (and the downright hilarious) aspects of this luxurious hotel. Accessibility, amenities, food, and more – all covered in a raw and unfiltered way. Is it worth it? Find out now!
First Impressions (And a Confession):
Landing in Heraklion, Crete? The airport is… well, let's just say it has character. Character that involves a whole lotta people and not a heck of a lot of personal space. BUT, the moment you step out into that Cretan sunshine… BAM! My jaw dropped. The air just felt different. Cleaner. Fresher. And the promise of turquoise water loomed like a siren song.
Getting to the Senses Blue was easy, the airport transfer arranged by the hotel ran like clockwork (good start, Senses Blue!). The hotel itself is… striking. Modern, all clean lines and whitewashed walls. And then you hit the lobby – that classic, minimalist, “ooooh, I feel fancy!” vibe. Okay, I’m hooked.
Accessibility: The Real Deal (Because It Matters):
Now, I’m not disabled, but accessibility is HUGE for me. I travel with someone who is, and it's a constant consideration. So, here’s the lowdown on Senses Blue:
- Wheelchair Accessible: Mostly good! The main areas – lobby, pool, restaurant – are definitely wheelchair accessible. Elevators are present and reliable. BUT, and it's a BIG but, some of the rooms… well, I'd check specifically about the room you book. Space can get tight. And some of the pathways to the spa were a bit… gravelly. Worth confirming the exact specifications.
- Facilities for Disabled Guests: There are definitely facilities. The hotel tries to be accommodating, but remember, things aren't always perfect, especially in smaller establishments. Call ahead, ask specific questions, and don't be shy.
- Elevator: Present and functional, which is critical.
The Glorious Stuff: Relaxation, Spa & Pool Time (Let's Get Soppy):
Okay, here’s where Senses Blue really nails it. Forget about the brochures, because the reality is even better.
- Pool with a View: Swoon. Seriously. That infinity pool overlooking the Aegean Sea? Forget your worries. I spent an entire afternoon there, alternating between swimming and staring out at the horizon, contemplating… well, nothing much, to be honest. Bliss.
- Sauna, Spa, Spa/Sauna, Steamroom: Yep, all the spa bells and whistles. And they're GOOD. I had a massage that… okay, I may have dozed off. But in the best way possible. My shoulders, which had been chronically knotted up, felt like… well, like someone had taken a magic wand to them. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Also yes. Don’t scrimp!
- Body Scrub & Body Wrap: Didn't try these, but I saw other people doing… and they looked incredibly relaxed. Next time!
On-Site Restaurants & Lounges: Food, Glorious Food!
- Restaurants & Bar: Several options. The main restaurant is… fine. The food is good (more on that later) but the atmosphere can feel a bit… formal. The poolside bar, however? That’s where the magic happens. Cocktails, snacks, and that view… (I'm repeating myself, aren't I?).
- A la Carte in Restaurant, Buffet in Restaurant: They do both. I'm a buffet person, so I went with the buffet for breakfast because I'm lazy and I like to eat way too much.
- International Cuisine in Restaurant, Asian Cuisine in Restaurant, Vegetarian Restaurant, Western Cuisine in Restaurant: A decent selection. I wouldn't say it blows your mind, but there's something for everyone.
- Poolside Bar: This is your happy place. Order a cocktail, watch the sunset, and listen to the gentle lapping of the waves. It's pure, unadulterated joy.
- Coffee/Tea in Restaurant, Coffee Shop, Bottle of Water, Room Service [24-hour], Snack Bar: Convenience is king. Especially when you're nursing a slight hangover from those cocktails.
- Desserts in restaurant: Don't skip. Just… don't.
- Happy Hour (Yes, please!)
The Food – My Honest Opinions (The Good, The Okay, and The "Meh"):
Okay, let's talk food. This is crucial.
- Breakfast [Buffet]: Hit or miss. Some days it was amazing (the pastries! the fresh fruit!). Other days? A bit… repetitive. But, hey, free breakfast, right?
- A la carte in restaurant: the dinner menus were well prepared and thought out even though a bit pricey, that’s ok!
- Asian breakfast/cuisine in restaurant, Western Breakfast/cuisine in restaurant: They attempt to cater to a wider range of tastes. Appreciated!
- Room Service [24-hour]: Convenient, but the quality can vary. Best for midnight snacks!
The Nuts and Bolts: Cleanliness, Safety, & the Little Things:
- Cleanliness and safety are top priority! That’s very important, I like clean!
- Daily disinfection in common areas and rooms sanitized between stays: That makes me feel safe and comfy.
- Wi-Fi [free]: Generally good, but spotty in some rooms. You won't be streaming HD movies, but for basic internet access, it's fine.
- Internet access: Internet [LAN], Internet services: Available, but not the fastest.
- Air conditioning in public area, Air conditioning: Essential in the Cretan summer! Works like a charm.
- Daily housekeeping: Efficient and friendly. My room was always spotless.
- Luggage storage: Convenient, especially if you have a late flight.
- Facilities for disabled guests: As mentioned above, a key consideration.
- Concierge: Helpful, but sometimes a bit stretched thin. They try, though.
- Cashless payment service: Very handy.
- Safety deposit boxes: Always a good idea.
The Rooms: A Mixed Bag (But Mostly Good):
- Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens: You get the basics. The rooms are stylish, if a little spartan. The beds are comfortable. The blackout curtains… chef's kiss. They are good.
- Room decorations: A bit bland, but hey, at least they're clean.
- Soundproof rooms: Thank the gods! You need peace.
Things to Do (Beyond the Pool):
- Things to do: Explore! Crete is beautiful. This hotel is a good base to see the local culture
- Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Taxi service, Airport transfer: Easy peasy.
- Bike parking: I didn't see anyone actually using it, but the option's there!
For the Kids (If You Have 'Em):
- Family/child friendly, Babysitting service, Kids meal, Kids facilities: Appeared to be OK, but I wasn’t traveling with children so I can'

Alright, buckle up, buttercups, 'cause this isn't your grandma's meticulously planned itinerary. This is my Crete escapade, and, trust me, it's gonna get a little…chaotic. We're at the Senses Blue Boutique Hotel, baby! Let's see if this place lives up to the hype.
Day 1: Arrival & Immediate Regret (Kidding… Mostly)
- 10:00 AM: Landed, slightly green around the gills after that cramped flight. Thank God for motion sickness pills, or I would've made a scene. The Heraklion airport? Let's just say it’s got a certain… charm. More like a bustling, slightly confused, swarm of tourists. Found the transfer okay, though. The driver, bless his heart, looked about ready to retire to a quiet mountain with his donkey - the poor man looked exhausted.
- 11:30 AM: Arrived at Senses Blue. Okay, okay, first impressions… gorgeous. White-washed buildings, THAT pool, and a view that actually made me audibly gasp. The reception area? Cool, calm, collected. Just what I needed.
- 12:00 PM: Check-in. Smooth sailing! Except, the room key didn't work at first. Cue the gentle frustration, but the kind staff sorted it in a flash. Small hiccup, no biggie. The room? Stunning. Honestly, the balcony? I could live there.
- 12:30 PM: Lunch by the pool. Ordered a Greek salad and a Mythos (because, duh). The salad? Divine. The Mythos? Went down like water, considering the flight. The sun? Scorching. Oops, forgot the sunscreen. Rookie mistake.
- 2:00 PM: Attempted to relax by the pool. Attempted. Turns out, I'm not a natural relaxer. Kept fidgeting, checking my phone (bad habit, I know), and feeling guilty about not doing anything. Note to self: Embrace the laziness!
- 4:00 PM: The pool. Oh, the pool. Beautiful! The water was perfect, refreshing and not too cold. Spent 2 hours there just swimming. The only time I truly felt at peace.
- 6:00 PM: Freshened up, slipped on a sundress. Time for a wander around the hotel grounds. Found a little hidden garden with a swing. Swing time!
- 7:30 PM: Dinner at the hotel restaurant. The food looked incredible! The chef was the star of the show, he made everyone feel welcome and we knew we were in good hands. I went for the seafood linguine, even though I was still full from lunch and that was a mistake. Portion sizes in Greece are a real test of willpower, let me tell you. Good, though! Very good.
- 9:00 PM: Evening walk along the beach. The stars? Unbelievable. The Aegean Sea? Whisperingly gorgeous. The romantic in me was definitely feeling it. The practical me? Annoyed by the sand in my sandals. Priorities, people!
Day 2: Knossos & The Donkey Ride of Doom (Maybe Not Doom, But…Close)
- 8:00 AM: Breakfast at the hotel. Decent spread. Greek yogurt with honey? A must. Coffee? Strong enough to wake the dead. Needed it, honestly.
- 9:00 AM: Taxi to Knossos. The ancient Minoan Palace? Mind-blowing. Absolutely. The history! The architecture! The sheer age of it all! I spent an hour staring, lost in thought. Totally worth it. The crowds, however, were a different story. It was like navigating a human river of tourists.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch in a taverna near Knossos. Ordered souvlaki. Delicious! And the local wine? Sneaky good. Don't judge me!
- 2:00 PM: The Donkey Ride of Doom. Okay, dramatic, I know. But I saw a sign for a donkey ride to a little church and decided to go for it, as you do. The donkey? Adorable. The ride? A bit… rough. A whole lot of bouncing. My rear end will be complaining about that later. The church at the end was lovely, though. Worth the… trauma? Yes, trauma.
- 4:00 PM: Back at the hotel. Pool time (again). Sunscreen, check! Reading material, check! Blissful, non-productive laziness? Double check!
- 7:00 PM: Sunset cocktails at the bar. Seriously, the view is spectacular. Watching the sun dip below the horizon with a cocktail in hand? Pretty hard to beat.
- 8:00 PM: Dinner at a taverna in a nearby village. Found a tiny, family-run place. The food was incredible! The family were friendly and everything felt magical.
- 10:00 PM: Early night. I’m exhausted! The ancient palace, the bumpy donkeys and the copious amounts of food have taken their toll.
Day 3: Rethymno & The Great Olive Oil Debacle
- 9:00 AM: Breakfast. Omelet this time. Trying to be healthy. But that honey!
- 10:00 AM: Day trip to Rethymno. The old town is gorgeous! Winding streets, Venetian architecture, the fort. I got utterly lost in the maze of alleyways, which was half the fun. Found a teeny tiny spice shop, where I spent far too long sniffing various aromas.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch in Rethymno. Decided to go for a traditional moussaka. It was heavy but good.
- 3:00 PM: The Great Olive Oil Debacle. Okay, so I went into a shop to buy some olive oil. It was a very small shop, run by a very charming old woman. I managed to get her talking, she offered me many tasters of olive oil. She ended up talking me into buying, like, five bottles. I ended up paying a ridiculous amount of money. I’m half-convinced I’ve been scammed. It's probably delicious, I'll never find out.
- 5:00 PM: Back to the hotel. More pool time. This time I decided to brave the sea. The water was refreshing but the waves were rather strong and I didn’t last long.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner at the hotel again. I’m starting to feel like a local.
- 9:00 PM: Early night again. The charm offensive continues.
Day 4: Beach Bliss & Melancholy (It's a Thing, Okay?)
- 9:00 AM: Last breakfast. Feeling sad that this is almost over.
- 10:00 AM: Found a tiny little beach nearby, and for some reason it was completely deserted! The water was crystal clear and calm, and the sun? Perfect. Spent the morning floating, reading, and generally doing nothing. Pure heaven.
- 1:00 PM: Simple lunch at a beachside taverna. Fresh fish, washed down with rosé.
- 3:00 PM: Back at the hotel. Sat on my balcony for the afternoon, just enjoying the view and thinking. A definite feeling of melancholy setting in, knowing I’ll have to leave this place soon.
- 7:00 PM: Farewell dinner. Eating at the hotel again – it’s starting to feel like home. The chef did his thing and it was perfect.
- 9:00 PM: Stroll along the beach one last time, and watched the stars.
Day 5: Departure & Already Planning the Return
- 8:00 AM: Cried after breakfast. Overdramatic, I know, but it's the truth! Headed to the airport, vowing to come back soon. Crete, you captured my heart. Even with the donkey rides, the dodgy olive oil, and my own inherent clumsiness.
- 10:00 AM: Arrived home and started looking up flights to return!
Overall: Verdict?
Senses Blue? Amazing. Flawless? No. But that’s what makes it good, right? I’m definitely planning a return trip. Until then, I'll just have to dream of Greek salads, sparkling seas, and the scent of jasmine on the breeze. Now to figure out what I am going to do with the olive oil! Cheers to Crete!
Chilliwack Getaway: Coast Chilliwack Hotel's Unbeatable BC Escape!
Senses Blue Boutique Hotel: What's the Buzz (and the Beach!)? Your Questions (and My Rants!) Answered
Seriously, is this place actually a hidden gem? Or is it just another Instagram trap?
Okay, truth time. I went with *massive* skepticism. "Boutique hotel," "hidden gem"... my inner cynic was screaming. But here's the thing: Senses Blue? It *actually* feels hidden. You don't get that immediate, 'tourist churn' vibe. The location is…well, it's not *right there* in the main drag, if you get what I mean? Actually, the first time I went looking for it, I had this moment of panic thinking "oh no," which, you know, the GPS was wrong and I was going to endup in somebody's backyard. Turns out, I was going to get into the hotel. The beach feels private, almost. (And no, I didn't see a single influencer strike a pose for the 'gram the entire time – shockingly!)
But "gem" doesn't mean perfect. The Wi-Fi was a bit…spotty in my room, which led to a minor meltdown when I couldn't upload my absolutely *stunning* photo of the sunset. (Okay, maybe the photo wasn't *that* stunning, but still!). Overall, it is pretty nice.
What's the vibe like? Is it all pretentious people sipping champagne or...?
Thank GOD, no! I was worried about that too. I'm not sure I'd know how to act, to be honest. It's relaxed, honestly. Think: chic, but in a "I just rolled out of bed looking effortlessly fabulous" kind of way, rather than "I spent three hours crafting this look." The staff is genuinely friendly, not that fake, overly-polished-hotel-staff-smile that you get elsewhere (you know the one!). People are chatting, smiling... it's not the kind of place where you feel you have to whisper or worry about what you're wearing. Although, I did see one guy trying a little too hard to look like he had just stumbled out of a yacht – the matching linen shorts and shirt were a *bit* much, if you ask me. But hey, each to their own! Seriously.
Tell me about the beach! Is it actually nice?
Okay, the beach. This is where Senses Blue *really* shines. The sand is soft, the water is unbelievably clear, and the view… oh, the view! I'm not even a "beach person," per se, (sunscreen is Evil!), but even *I* was mesmerized. I spent a whole afternoon just floating in the sea, letting the waves wash over me. It's also sheltered by a rocky outcrop, so the waves aren't huge. I saw some tiny little fish and it was so serene, I thought, "I could live that." Honestly, I felt like I'd stepped into a postcard.
My only gripe (and it's a minor one): I got a bit sunburned the first day. Rookie mistake, I know. Learn from me! Slather on the SPF *religiously*.
Room reveal! What are the rooms like?
The rooms... are *lovely*. Simple, clean design with a touch of that Greek island charm. I'm not sure how to describe it properly. Think white walls, light wood, and pops of blue. I swear, everything just *breathes* relaxation. My room had a balcony with a sea view, that I could get used to. Waking up to that view every morning? Pure bliss. I really, really appreciated the little details, like the welcome bottle of wine and the super-comfy bed. (I slept like a baby, but... who am I kidding? I always sleep like a baby. Even in the middle of a disaster.)
Okay, confession time: I might have spent a little *too* much time just lounging on my balcony, sipping Greek coffee, and staring out at the sea. Judge me if you must! But the moment I went, I had a little panic, "Wait, I want to do nothing, I want to sit, I want to stare, I want this, now." It's a guilty pleasure, that's for sure, and everyone deserves a little bit of guilt when they're going on a relaxing trip.
What about the food? Is the hotel restaurant any good, or should I venture out?
Okay, the food. Honestly? It was pretty darn good. I ended up eating at the hotel restaurant a lot. Fresh seafood, traditional Cretan dishes, and everything was delicious. I definitely tried the grilled octopus, it was amazing! The breakfast buffet was also… a highlight. I may have had a *few* too many croissants, and the yogurt with honey and nuts was so amazing! I mean, c'mon, I'm on vacation! Besides, they have someone who freshly makes the coffee. Seriously, what more do you want? Although, one night, the service was a *little* slow. I swear, our food took forever. I was legit starving! But the ambiance was so nice, I didn’t even care that much. It didn't ruin the evening. I just chatted with the other people at my table, and that's what you're supposed to do on vacation!
Is it kid-friendly?
Hmm. This is a tricky one. I didn't see a ton of kids running around, which, for my personal tastes, was lovely. But it also wasn't *specifically* targeted at families with kids. The vibe is more geared towards couples or solo travelers, or people who just want to relax and unwind. I saw some kids there, but it wasn't like a massive resort with a kids' club or anything. So, maybe not the best choice if you're looking for a place to entertain energetic youngsters. It's a solid "maybe," depending on your preferences.
Anything else I should know? Any hidden costs or annoying surprises?
Okay, a few things. Parking can be a bit tight (but free, which is a win!). The hotel has a small parking lot, and it can fill up, especially during peak season. Also, the beach chairs and umbrellas are free for hotel guests – always a bonus! One thing that did surprise me: the cocktails at the bar were *amazing*, but… a little on the pricier side. Not ridiculously so, but be prepared to spend a bit if you like your evening tipple. And for the love of all things holy, bring some insect repellent! Mosquitoes are relentless in Crete, and I learned that the hard way. My legs looked like a dotted map by the end of the trip. Never again!
So, overall, would you recommend it?


Post a Comment for "Uncover Crete's Hidden Gem: Senses Blue Boutique Hotel Awaits!"