
Unbelievable Deals at Hotell Fangelset: Vastervik's Hidden Gem!
Unbelievable Deals at Hotell Fängelset: Västervik's Hidden Gem? (A Messy, Honest Review)
Okay, buckle up, folks. Because I'm about to spill the tea – and maybe a little bit of coffee – on Hotell Fängelset in Västervik. This isn't your average, sterile travel blog drone. This is me, raw and unfiltered, after a whirlwind weekend behind (sort of) bars. I’m talking honest-to-goodness, warts-and-all, would-I-go-back-again type of review. And spoiler alert: Yes, I probably would. But let’s get into it, shall we?
SEO & Metadata (Blame the Robots!):
- Keywords: Hotell Fängelset, Västervik, hotel review, prison hotel, Sweden, spa, accessibility, restaurant, Wi-Fi, things to do, deals, family-friendly, pet-friendly, accessible rooms, fitness center.
- Meta Description: A brutally honest review of Hotell Fängelset in Västervik, Sweden – a former prison turned hotel. Discover the good, the bad, and the truly bizarre! Read about accessibility, dining, spa experiences, and whether it's worth the visit.
First Impressions (and a Bit of Panic!):
Okay, so picture this: I'm driving through the picturesque Swedish countryside, feeling all Scandi-chic and ready for a relaxing weekend. Then…bam! I see it. The imposing, grey stone of Fängelset. I knew it was a former prison, but standing in front of it…it was a bit overwhelming. Part of me was expecting rattling chains and a gruff warden (though the doorman was thankfully very pleasant). The exterior corridor felt a little… well, prison-y. But hey, that’s the whole gimmick, right?
Accessibility – Navigating the Concrete Jungle (or Not):
Right, so, accessibility. I'm not personally using a wheelchair, but I'm always hyper-aware of these things. The elevator (which, thankfully, there is one!) felt a little cramped, but it was there. And that’s a huge plus. The website promises facilities for disabled guests, and while I didn't specifically test them, it looked like there were accessible rooms available. The public areas, however, felt a little… uneven. Tight corners, some slightly dodgy flooring. It wasn’t a breeze, but it seemed manageable with assistance, I'd say…
Rooms: From Cells to Suites? (Mostly Cells, Let’s Be Real)
My room…well, it was tiny. Remember what I said about the prison vibe? Yeah, it’s very much alive and well in the rooms. The extra long bed was a godsend, because I was looking forward to a good sleep. Air conditioning was bliss. The shower was surprisingly powerful, but the bathroom…small. Very, very small. The non-smoking room thing was appreciated. The blackout curtains meant I could sleep until noon if I wanted to. The window opened! It was definitely functional, but luxurious it was not. No, the room wasn't the most glamorous, but it was clean, which is the most important thing, yeah?
Internet: Connecting from the Clink (Mostly Worked!)
Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Hallelujah! And it mostly worked! No complaints there. I needed to submit some work, so that was super critical, and I have to say, it generally held its own. Internet access – wireless was a solid tick.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax: Spa or Bust!
Okay, this is where Fängelset actually starts getting good. They have a spa! A real, proper spa! The pool with a view was… stunning. Okay, scratch that. It was gorgeous. And the sauna? Incredible. I spent a frankly embarrassing amount of time in there completely relaxed. I even tried the body scrub, which was weirdly amazing. The steamroom was a must! I didn't use the fitness center, if I'm honest. I was far too busy relaxing. But they had one, so bonus points! Also the foot bath was quite good.
Dining, Drinking & Snacking: Jailhouse Grub? (Surprisingly Good!)
The restaurant… Well, it’s good. Really good. I had the a la carte in the restaurant one night – superb. The western cuisine was great. The happy hour at the bar was a welcome treat. And the breakfast buffet was a total winner (which is a good thing, because I need my bacon). I can't complain about the quality. They did provide a bottle of water for free, which is a nice touch. Also, I have to admit I ordered room service [24-hour] one night, and yes, it was just as delicious as it sounded.
Cleanliness and Safety: Keeping it Clean (Especially Important!)
Okay, in these times, safety is paramount. And I was relieved. Daily disinfection in common areas. Hand sanitizer everywhere. Staff wearing masks. The staff trained in safety protocol were on it. The hotel had a clear hygiene plan. Room sanitization opt-out available, which I thought was thoughtful. Sanitized kitchen and tableware items? Check. Safe dining setup? Check. I felt safe, which is all that matters, right?
Services and Conveniences: The Extras (and a Few Oddities)
The Concierge was helpful. Daily housekeeping was great. The elevator was a lifesaver. They had a gift/souvenir shop. A little weird, but hey, if you need a last-minute gift, there you go. They had a convenience store which was pretty good. I also saw a lot of business things. I’m talking meeting/banquet facilities, meetings, meeting stationery, seminars, and what have you.
For the Kids: Family Friendly? (Maybe, But More for Grown-Ups)
Babysitting service was apparently and that’s it. I didn't bring any kids, and I’d say the hotel is geared more towards adults.
Getting Around: Escape Route Planning (Easy Enough)
Car park [free of charge]!! Yes! That gets a big thumbs up. Airport transfer? I didn’t use it, but it was there. Taxi service? Same.
The Emotional Verdict (The Stream-of-Consciousness Bit):
Okay, deep breath. This place is quirky. It’s not perfect. It’s not the Ritz. It’s a weird, former prison that's attempting to be a luxury hotel. And you know what? It mostly succeeds.
There are things I loved about it. The spa, the food, the overall novelty. There are things I wasn’t keen on: the feeling of being boxed in in the room. But the staff were friendly, the prices were reasonable, and at the end of the day, I relaxed.
Would I go back? Absolutely. Especially now that they've nailed the hygiene.
The Imperfections & Quirks I Remember:
- The slightly clunky elevator (I felt bad for the poor guy who had to lug luggage up there)
- The feeling of being a bit… watched. It's a prison, after all.
- The little "do not disturb" sign - it was a tiny metal plaque you had to physically hang on your door. I liked the old school touch, but I almost lost it a couple of times
- The incredible spa! Oh, I already mentioned that? Well, it bears repeating!
Final Score: A Solid 7.5/10. It’s a conversation starter, a unique experience, and a surprisingly good hotel. Highly recommended for those who like something a little different, a little… edgy. If you are expecting something luxurious or a palace, you might be disappointed. But if you are up for a truly memorable experience that lets you get off grid, this is the place.
Red Roof Inn Fairmont WV: Unbeatable Deals & Comfort Await!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups. This isn't your meticulously-planned, color-coded, anxiety-inducing travel itinerary. This is what actually happened (or, you know, might happen) when I “visited” (read: tried to survive) Hotell Fangelset in Vastervik, Sweden. And trust me, just the idea of a prison hotel probably promises a good time.
Subject: Operation: Escaping (into) Hotel Fangelset - A Diary of Discomfort, Delight, and Doubt
Day 1: Arrival & Initial Panic (A.K.A. "Did I Pack Enough Underwear for a Psychic Break?")
- 14:00: Arrive at Stockholm Arlanda (ARN). Okay, first hurdle: navigating an airport. I swear, every airport is a labyrinth designed to punish indecisive people like myself. Eventually, after a near-miss with a rogue baggage cart and a silent prayer to the god of free WiFi, I find the train to Vastervik.
- 18:00: Train to Vastervik. Long journey (around 3 hours), so I grab a book I intended to read for months. Let’s face it, I never get past the first couple of pages.
- 21:00: Arrive in Vastervik. This town is charming. Seriously, postcard-worthy stuff. The air is crisp, the buildings are adorable, and I instantly begin to wonder if I've accidentally wandered into a Wes Anderson film. Panic subsides… slightly.
- 21:30: Find Hotell Fangelset. And whoa. This place legit was a prison. The wrought iron gates, the imposing brick facade… It's like something out of a gothic novel. My inner child, who's obsessed with scary stuff, is doing cartwheels. My inner adult is wondering if they have good coffee.
- 22:00: Check-in. The irony. I am checking into a prison. I am not sure how I feel about that. The check-in is oddly friendly though. I am introduced to the concept of the “cell key” and get a lecture on how to find my room.
- 22:30: Room Reveal (Cell Reveal?)! The room is…well, it’s a cell. With a surprisingly comfy bed. The walls are thick, the window is small, and the only decoration is a framed picture illustrating some old criminals, and I'm fighting the urge to yell, "I'M FREE!" and running towards the reception. The sheer solitude is both unsettling and kind of…inviting? It helps that the bathroom is nicer than my apartment.
- 23:00: First thoughts. The place already has a very strange scent. Something between old books, and something… metallic. Is this the smell of regret? Am I already regretting this insane trip? Must get a bottle of wine and try to adjust.
Day 2: Confinement & Culinary Chaos (A.K.A. "Breakfast: The Great Escape Attempt… From Blandness")
- 08:00: Breakfast. Oh dear god. The breakfast buffet. Let me just say, it's… functional. The coffee is strong, which I deeply appreciate, but the pastries look like they’ve been through a prison riot. I'm pretty sure the bread is actively trying to escape my plate. I end up with a plate that looks like a collection of sad, beige orphans.
- 09:00: Exploration of the hotel. They say the prison also has a "museum". My god. The museum is filled with things that make you shudder. The objects inside… well, let’s just say they don’t sugarcoat the past. The handcuffs, the straight jackets, the tiny cells (the actual cells)… it's all a little…overwhelming. My reaction? A mixture of morbid fascination and a sudden, overwhelming need for a hug.
- 12:00: Lunch at the hotel restaurant. More like “prison chow,” if I can be honest. I ordered the fish and chips and it gives me zero thrills. The fish tastes suspiciously like… well, sadness. I eat anyway, because I am hungry. Regret immediately follows.
- 14:00: The Library. Found a quiet corner. The library is also located inside the prison, so, yeah. It's an okay place for writing down some notes.
- 16:00: Exploring. I find myself staring at a sign saying a “secret passage.” The adventure-loving side of me is screaming. The logical side of me is saying, "Probably not a good idea, idiot." I take a picture.
- 18:00: Dinner. Decided to be brave and go outside. Found a restaurant. I ordered some meatballs. They were amazing. I felt as if I'd escaped, I can walk for a little while, even if I know I'd have to return to the prison.
- 22:00: Back to the cell. I felt slightly better. The whole day was a series of ups and downs. At this point, who knows what I am going to do.
Day 3: Seeking Solace & Sudden Revelations (A.K.A. "The Price of Freedom")
- 09:00: Back to breakfast. Another stab at the buffet. This time, however, I find something. A tiny little jar of jam, and a cup of strong coffee.
- 10:00: I decide to go for a walk and just spend some time in nature. It's lovely. Vastervik is a beautiful city.
- 13:00: I get back. It's time to check out. I turn in my keys and I bid farewell to my room. As I look back at the place, I suddenly realize something. Perhaps the experience, while weird, and uncomfortable, was exactly what I needed.
- 14:00: Train back to Stockholm.
- 18:00: Arrival at Stockholm.
Final Thoughts:
Hotell Fangelset? It's a trip. A weird, slightly unsettling, oddly fascinating trip. Would I recommend it? Absolutely. But be prepared. Prepare for the odd smells, the questionable cuisine, the existential dread that comes with spending a couple of days in a former prison.
Ultimately, it was a journey of self-discovery. And by "self-discovery," I mean I learned that I really, really like good coffee and that I can survive on a diet of sadness and jam. And that maybe, just maybe, a little bit of confinement can be a good thing.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find therapy.
Escape to Luxury: Monte Carlo Inn Airport Suites Mississauga Awaits!
Ugh, Unbelievable Deals at Hotel Fangelset: Vastervik's Hidden (and a Little Creepy?) Gem! - FAQs (and My Honest Thoughts)
So, what's *actually* up with Hotel Fangelset? Is it really, like, a prison?
Okay, let's not beat around the rusty wrought-iron gate. Yes, Hotel Fangelset *was* a real prison. A proper, lock-'em-up-and-throw-away-the-key kind of prison. You're sleeping in cells. My cell, number 37, had a freaking *window*, which, let me tell you, was a major upgrade. But still... a cell. It messes with your head a bit at first. I kept expecting the guard to yell "Lights out!" at 10 pm. Though, funny story, the "lights out" thing *did* happen because the power flickered a couple of times, spooky!
The whole experience adds a unique vibe. You've got the thick walls, the heavy doors, the... well, the general feeling of being *watched*. Which, y'know, it's meant to be. Perfect for a bit of self-reflection... or, you know, just staring at the peeling paint and wondering what the heck went down in that cell before you.
Okay, I'm intrigued. But what about the "unbelievable deals"? Are we talking budget-friendly or just a cleverly disguised money-pit?
Alright, the deals. They *are* pretty darn good. I mean, compared to some of the sterile, soul-crushing hotels I've stayed in, even the base price feels like a steal. Especially when you factor in the whole "prison experience" thing. It's like, you're getting a built-in theme park *and* a place to crash. Honestly, during the off-season? Unbeatable. I snagged a room for, like, the price of a decent pizza!
However - and there's always a "however" – there's definitely a trade-off for that cheap price. My room didn't have a TV. Didn't bother me, really, I was too busy trying to imagine the ghosts, but some people might find that a dealbreaker. And the breakfast, well... let's just say it's *adequate*. Don't expect Michelin-star cuisine. But for a quick bite before a day of exploring Vastervik? Sure thing. You won't starve.
What's the atmosphere like? Is it *actually* creepy? Like, are we talking *actual* ghosts?
Okay, buckle up. The atmosphere? It's... intense. It's not your typical "Welcome, have a relaxing stay!" kind of joint. It's more like "Welcome, hope you don't mind the shadows and the feeling of being judged by the ghosts of convicts past." The silence at night is deafening. And yes, I *did* have a moment. The wind whistling through the window, the creaking floors, and a sudden cold spot in my room. I am *not* saying ghosts, but I *am* saying I slept with the lights on... and I'm not typically a lights-on sleeper!
The staff? Super nice, incredibly helpful and friendly so, it is hard to say it is haunted from the staff's behaviour alone, but they also understand the inherent creepiness and lean into it with the decor, lighting, and history-based tours. They're totally ready to answer your questions about the darker side of the prison. Honestly? I found it fascinating.
Is the Location actually good? Is it easy to see places?
The location? PERFECT. Vastervik is a lovely little coastal town, and Hotel Fangelset is right in the heart of it, and by this, I mean it is literally 2 minutes to local shopping and boat tours. It is a few minutes to the ferry, the harbour, and the local shops, restaurants and cafes. You can walk everywhere. I mean, you're not exactly going to be roughing it. You can get everywhere on foot because, let's face it, there isn't much else *to* do in Vastervik. But it's a *good* thing!
From the hotel, I spent a day on a boat tour, strolled the cobblestone streets, had some *amazing* seafood (highly recommend!), and even found a vintage bookshop. It was the perfect base for exploring the area. Easy access, good food and good fun.
The Rooms! Details! Are they comfy? Modern?
Okay, the rooms are. Well, they are cells. So... "comfy" is a relative term. Think functional. Minimalist. You get a bed, a small desk, a… well, the basics, and the occasional bit of "prison-chic" decor. My bed was surprisingly comfortable. I was expecting a rock-hard cot, but it was, you know, a regular, non-torture-device bed.
Modern? Nah. It's not the Ritz. But it's clean, and perfectly functional. I can honestly say I did not sleep well the first night, I was constantly looking out the window, but I was very happy and the next night I was exhausted and it was wonderful. The showers were okay. (And hey, at least you're not sharing a communal shower. That would be a little too "prison-like," even for this old building.)
Is there a restaurant at the hotel?
They have a restaurant! And it is pretty good, they also serve what I think is a rather good beer! However, again, don't expect fine dining. It won't be *amazing* but it is a fair price and gives sustenance, and gives all the guests a chance to mingle. It is the only restaurant so you will find yourself there, you'll find yourself talking to the locals. That is a bonus.
I would rate it for getting some basic food, and it makes the place feel a bit more lively. They also do a pretty good breakfast.
Would you stay there again? And would you recommend it?
Okay, honest? Yes, I would stay there again, and yes, I 100% recommend it. BUT... and it's a big but... it's not for everyone. If you're the type who needs plush carpets and a 24/7 room service, RUN! Head screaming in the other direction. You might find yourself feeling very unnerved.
But if you're looking for a unique experience, if you enjoy a bit of history, a lot of atmosphere, and don't mind a little bit of creepy, *and* you want a great deal? Go. Book it. Just... maybe pack a nightlight. And maybe a friend. Or, you know, a book. Someone to share the experience with.
I'm already looking for a reason to go back. It's an experience. It's memorable. It's weird. And I loved it.


Post a Comment for "Unbelievable Deals at Hotell Fangelset: Vastervik's Hidden Gem!"