
Unbelievable African Safari: Magaliesburg's Hidden Gem Awaits!
Unbelievable African Safari: Magaliesburg's Hidden Gem - Or Just a Really Good Weekend Away? (A Messy Review)
Okay, buckle up, because I just got back from "Unbelievable African Safari" in Magaliesburg, and while the brochure promised lions and maybe a giraffe or two (spoiler: no lions, just a LOT of amazing service), I’m still processing the sheer… stuff of it all. Let’s dive in, shall we? Because I’m still kinda in a vacation haze, so forgive my rambling.
(Metadata Time!)
- Keywords: Unbelievable African Safari, Magaliesburg, Safari Lodge, South Africa, Weekend Getaway, Spa, Pool, Restaurant, Accessible, Family-Friendly, Luxury, Reviews, What to do in Magaliesburg, African Safari, Spa, Wellness
- Meta Description: Honest review of Unbelievable African Safari in Magaliesburg, South Africa. Is it actually unbelievable? Find out about the accessible amenities, spa treatments, dining options, and everything in between! Plus, the good, the bad, and the hilariously awkward.
(Let's get this accessibility thing handled first, because it's important.)
The brochure bragged about accessibility. Let's be real: I can walk around, but I always look for this stuff. And let me tell you, they actually delivered.
- Wheelchair Accessible: The main areas were pretty good. Lobbies, restaurants, you name it. No treacherous gravel paths or crazy inclines that I could see– a real win!
- Elevator: Check. Big thumbs up. Especially after those amazing breakfasts they serve…
- Facilities for disabled guests: Apparently available in all areas. They are ready to go to meet all guests' needs!
- This whole place is perfect for people with disabilities. They're doing great in this department!
I’ll give them extra points for that. It makes a HUGE difference.
(Okay, Deep Breath. This is where the fun begins.)
First Impressions and General Vibe…or, “I Was Expecting Lions, Got a Dreamy Spa Instead”
Honestly? I wasn’t expecting to be this charmed. The photos on the website are pretty, but nothing prepared me for the sheer…greenness of the place. Lush, sprawling lawns, and a feeling of peace that made my shoulders visibly drop the second I stepped out of the car. I thought I was buying a safari experience, and found myself checking into a serene escape! You can feel the serenity here!
The Room: My Little Sanctuary (With Some Minor Quirks)
Okay, the rooms. Mine had a balcony overlooking… well, more greenery and a sliver of the pool (more on that later). They were spacious, CLEAN (and I'm a bit of a germaphobe, so that's saying something), and the bed… oh, the bed. Probably the most comfortable I've slept in outside of my very own down comforter at home. They had everything:
- Free Wi-Fi: Worked a charm. Always a must.
- Air Conditioning: Thank God for that! South Africa can be hot!
- Blackout Curtains: Crucial for my sleep! Hallelujah.
- Bathrobes and Slippers: Luxury! I'm not fancy, but it makes you feel fancy, and I'm all about that.
- Mini Bar: Always a dangerous temptation! Especially the wine…
- Complimentary tea and coffee: Fuel for the day, obviously. Plus, the added bonus of waking up in a new location is just simply amazing.
The Imperfections? The TV signal was a little spotty at times. And I swear the shower pressure was a little weak the first morning. But honestly? Not a dealbreaker. I'm not here to watch telly, I'm here to… well….
Spa? Oh, HELL YES! (Deep Dive Warning)
Let’s talk about the SPA. This is where things went from “nice weekend getaway” to “OMG, I need to move in permanently”.
- Body Scrub & Wrap: I don't even remember what they put on me, but my skin felt like… silk. Seriously, I could have modeled for a lotion commercial afterwards.
- Sauna/Steamroom: Pure bliss! I spend a good chunk of a day just detoxing and sweating away all the stress from my job (mostly my boss, but let's not talk about that…).
- Massage: I opted for the deep tissue. And, sweet baby Jesus, that masseuse knew what she was doing. She found knots I didn't even know I had. It was a little painful at times (like a good kind of painful), but left me feeling like a new person. Literally. My muscles were screaming for the rest of the day, but in a good way. That day was the most relax I've ever been.
- Pool with a View: The spa also has a pool. An outdoor pool. With a view. You could happily spend an afternoon just lounging there. I did. Several afternoons.
Okay, confession time. I may or may not have booked two full days of spa treatments. Don’t judge me. I needed it. And, honestly, if I could do it all over again? I would!
Dining & Drinking: Fueling the Relaxation (or, My Endless Pursuit of Pancakes)
- Breakfast (Buffet): Oh, this was dangerous. They had everything. Fresh fruit, pastries, eggs cooked every way imaginable, bacon that was perfectly crispy… I may or may not have gone back for seconds (and thirds… and maybe a sneaky fourth plate). They gave an option for an Asian breakfast, which was pretty good. I wouldn’t say it was authentic, but it was still good.
- Restaurants: They have a few restaurant options, including international and Western cuisine. I tried the international, and it was…good. Not mind-blowing-best-meal-of-my-life good, but perfectly acceptable.
- Poolside Bar: Essential. Cocktails by the pool? Yes, please! Especially during happy hour, which, of course, I took full advantage of, every afternoon.
- Snack Bar: The snack bar was good in a pinch, but it wasn't anything to write home about.
Cleanliness & Safety: Feeling Safe and Secure
I’m a cautious person, and Unbelievable African Safari definitely hit the mark.
- Daily Disinfection in Common Areas: Reassuring.
- Anti-viral cleaning products: Good stuff.
- Hand Sanitizer: Everywhere! (My inner germophobe was thrilled.)
- Staff Trained in Safety Protocol: Felt like a team of highly trained and well-oiled professionals.
- Safe Dining Setup: Tables spaced, all the usual precautions.
Things to Do (Besides Eat and Get Massaged): They Try Hard!
Okay, besides the spa and the eating? They offer other things. A fitness center (I glanced at it, then ran back to the pool). A few outdoor activities…
- Things to see: They didn't have lions (as I may have mentioned), but they did have some really nice gardens.
- Outdoor Venue for Special Events: They have a nice outdoor area, and I'm sure any events there are just amazing.
The "Unbelievable" Part?
Honestly, I'm still not sure if the "Unbelievable" part is the name, or just the overall experience. It wasn’t a typical safari, but what they offered was amazing. The level of service was fantastic. Everyone was friendly, helpful, and genuinely seemed to care about making your stay enjoyable.
The Minor Gripes (Because No Place is Perfect)
- Getting around: Transportation to the airport was provided, but it was a little bit pricey.
- Internet: the wi-fi could be a little spotty if you're far from the main areas.
- The kids: This place is family friendly, but the kids were a little bit loud.
The Verdict: Go! (But Maybe Don't Expect Lions)
Overall, Unbelievable African Safari is a fantastic escape. It's peaceful, relaxing, and the spa alone is worth the trip. It might not be the "safari" you're picturing, but it's a genuinely lovely place to unwind, disconnect (from the outside world, at least), and just… breathe. I highly recommend it. Just… bring your swimsuit and prepare for some serious pampering. You'll thank me later. And seriously, go for the deep tissue massage.
Unbelievable Deals! Your Dream Pella Getaway Awaits at Super 8 by Wyndham!
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into my absolutely chaotic, possibly disastrous, but definitely me Magaliesburg adventure at the African Hills Safari Lodge & Spa. Forget perfect itineraries – this is the raw, unfiltered truth, fueled by questionable decision-making and a healthy dose of existential dread.
Day 1: Arrival & False Starts (and a near-death experience with a mosquito)
- Morning (ish):
- 7:00 AM: Alarm screams bloody murder. My brain's still in a pre-caffeinated coma. Packing… or, more accurately, throwing clothes into a bag and praying for the best. I swear, packing is the worst pre-vacation ritual. It's like a test of how well I can function on minimal sleep.
- 8:00 AM: Coffee. Glorious, life-giving coffee. Without it, I'm just a grumpy, caffeine-deficient blob.
- 9:00 AM: ROAD TRIP! (Cue the internal monologue of "Are you sure you locked the door? Did you turn off the stove? Are you sure about the door?"). The drive to Magaliesburg is supposed to be scenic. I'm too busy stressing about traffic to appreciate the scenery.
- 11:00 AM: Finally arrive at African Hills. First impressions? Lush. Green. Beautiful. And then… the check-in process. Let's just say I'm pretty sure my name was butchered and the receptionist was, shall we say, enthusiastic when explaining the various spa treatments, so enthusiastic that I had to get out for a few minutes to recover.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch at the lodge restaurant. I ordered the chicken salad, which was fine, but the real star was the view – rolling hills, wide open skies. Felt like a scene from a movie. Then I realized I'd forgotten my sunglasses. Instant panic. I am basically a mole without sunglasses.
- 1:00 PM: Checked into the room. It's…okay. King size bed, balcony, and a very small bathroom. The air conditioning smells faintly of mildew, which isn't great. The room boasts a mosquito… that thing was HUGE and it buzzed around my head all night. This thing was the size of a small bird and made more noise than a race car. After a brief battle (me vs. mosquito, with me the clear loser), I retreated to the balcony to sulk.
- Afternoon:
- 2:00 PM: Spa time! I booked a massage to try and erase the stressful start, and thank the heavens, it was heavenly. The masseuse wasn't afraid to work deep into my knots, and I actually felt like I was melting into the table for at least an hour.
- 4:00 PM: High Tea. Apparently, this is a thing. Tiny sandwiches, scones, pastries. I'm not really a "high tea" person. I'm more of a "pile of carbs washed down with coffee" person. But hey, when in Rome (or, in this case, a fancy lodge in the Magaliesberg Mountains), right?
- 5:00 PM: Sunset drinks on the patio. Absolutely stunning. Seriously, the view was worth the trip alone. The sky exploded in colors, and I actually felt a moment of peace, which is a rare occurrence for me.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner at the lodge. I ordered the steak. It was fine. I'm starting to realize food isn't a priority in this trip – survival is.
- 7:30 PM: Bedtime. The mosquito has won. I am defeated.
Day 2: Nature, Near Disaster, and Questionable Life Choices
- Morning:
- 7:00 AM: Wake up with a start. The mosquito is back. The war continues.
- 8:00 AM: Breakfast. Decent buffet, but my stomach feels like it's made of lead.
- 9:00 AM: Game drive! Okay, this was the highlight. We saw giraffes (they look so elegant!), zebras (stripy horses!), and a whole bunch of other animals I can't remember the names of. Our guide was a true character, filled with bad jokes but also genuinely knowledgeable about the local wildlife.
- 11:00 AM: The most awkward moment of the trip. I was on the game drive and I was so excited to take a picture of a lion that I almost fell out of the car. I was so horrified I almost wanted to cry.
- Afternoon:
- 12:00 PM: Lunch (again, not memorable). More people-watching.
- 1:00 PM: Pool time. The pool is lovely, but there are children. Children are loud. I am not a "children person." But, hey, the sun is warm, and the drinks are cold, so I survive.
- 3:00 PM: Hiking. This was supposed to be a "gentle" hike. HA! It was more like a climb up a mountain. I am not in shape. By the top, I was gasping for air and questioning all my life choices. The view was worth it, I guess. But. Never. Again.
- 4:00 PM: Afternoon lounging. I have no words to describe the lack of energy I had.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner. Chicken again. Maybe I should branch out tomorrow.
- 7:30 PM: Sleepy. Thinking of just going to bed.
Day 3: Departure & The Long Shadow of the Mosquito
- Morning:
- 7:00 AM: The mosquito. Still there. I think it's personally offended by my presence.
- 9:00 AM: Checkout. Finally. The hotel. The mosquito. I am free.
- 10:00 AM: Breakfast. One more decent buffet breakfast for the road.
- 11:00 AM: Heading back. Reflecting on the weekend. I think I'm going to need a vacation to recover from this vacation.
- 12:00 PM: Home. Victory over the mosquito.
Overall Impression:
African Hills Safari Lodge & Spa is beautiful, but it's not perfect. The service is a bit hit-or-miss. The food is okay. The mosquito is a menace. But the views? Unforgettable. I'm exhausted, sunburnt, and probably have a few insect bites, but hey, I survived. And maybe, just maybe, I'll actually remember this trip for something other than the mosquito.
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. Would recommend for the scenery and the massage, but bring your own mosquito repellent and be prepared for the unexpected. And maybe pack some snacks. And a good book. And extra sunscreen. And…. okay, I'm done.
Willows, CA Getaway: Unbeatable Deals at Quality Inn & Suites!
Unbelievable African Safari (Magaliesburg's Hidden Gem Awaits!) - Let's Get Real!
Okay, so... is this safari *really* "unbelievable"? Because let's be honest, marketing can be bull.
What kind of animals am I *actually* going to see? Don't give me the brochure spiel.
Is it safe? Like, REALLY safe? I'm terrified of predators.
What's the accommodation like? Luxurious glamping or back-to-basics camping?
How long should I go for? A weekend? A week? What gives the best experience?
What should I pack? Because I'm a notorious over-packer.
Did you get to see any lions? Because, that's like... the dream, right?


Post a Comment for "Unbelievable African Safari: Magaliesburg's Hidden Gem Awaits!"