
Bloomington's BEST Hotel? IHG's Hidden Gem Near the Mall!
Finding Paradise (and a Really Good Hotel) in Bloomington: My IHG Hidden Gem Review (Brace Yourselves)
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because I'm about to unleash a truth bomb about a Bloomington hotel. And I mean Bloomington, Minnesota, home of the Mall of America. I was dragging myself there for… well, let's just say I was not thrilled. Needed a place to crash, and after some frantic clicking, I landed on this IHG spot, conveniently located "near the Mall!" (said every hotel in that general area, right?). But, you know, sometimes you get lucky. And lemme tell you, this place? This place kinda surprised me.
First Impressions: Accessibility and the Elevator of Destiny
Right off the bat, I appreciated the effort. Accessibility seemed genuinely considered, not just a box ticked. The lobby was bright and welcoming, and navigating with luggage and a general sense of existential dread was surprisingly easy. The elevator, my lifeline for a stay on a higher floor (I always request high floors, who doesn’t love the view?), was smooth and blessedly reliable. And yes, facilities for disabled guests were clearly marked and, from what I could see, well-equipped. (Bonus points for a smooth ride, by the way. Nothing worse than an elevator that feels like it’s about to launch you into orbit.)
The Room: Safe Haven or Just Another Room? (Spoiler: It Was More)
Now, the room. That's where the real judgment happens, right? I was relieved to find a non-smoking room (essential, people, essential!). And the space itself was… well, it was good. Not just "meh, it'll do." It was good.
- Available in all rooms: A whole bunch of things, including Air conditioning, because Minnesota summers are no joke! Alarm clock, Bathrobes (yes!), a proper Bathroom phone (remember those?), a big Bathtub, Blackout curtains (thank heavens!), a Closet big enough to hide a small… well, you get the idea. And the list goes on!
- Internet: The Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! was a lifesaver, since I needed to work (bleh) a little bit. Actually, a lot. There was even Internet access – LAN, if you're into that retro vibe. Still, it was a bit spotty in the evening - I had to move my laptop to the corner of the room to get a decent signal, in my opinion.
- Everything Else: The Coffee/tea maker was a godsend for my morning sanity. The Refrigerator kept my snacks (and emergency chocolate) cool. Daily housekeeping was thorough and unobtrusive (kudos to the cleaning staff!). They even had a Hair dryer that actually worked! Seriously, that's a win. The In-room safe box gave me peace of mind, and the Ironing facilities were a welcome touch (though my ironing skills remain… underdeveloped).
- The Little Things: The desk was spacious, perfect for spreading out my mess of papers and laptop. Complimentary tea, Free bottled water were nice touches and they already had Toiletries (no more struggling with tiny shampoo bottles, thank the heavens). And the Slippers were a cozy surprise!
Rambles and Rants: My "Happy Place" Moment (and a Few Gripes!)
Okay, so the room was great. But here's where things get interesting…
- Why this place is my happy place: The room was truly a "safe haven" for me. The Soundproofing was so effective that I could barely hear anything outside. Seriously, it was like being cocooned in a fluffy, quiet cloud.
- The Imperfections I will say though that the reading light was a bit dim, and the Socket near the bed wasn't in the most convenient spot. The TV had a lot of channels.
- The Unexpected: The "wake-up service was on time. The view wasn't amazing. But the room wasn’t bad, it just needed some Room decorations to make the place really pop. Some of the Safety/security feature felt overdone in my opinion.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Fueling the Beast (and My Inner Critic)
The hotel had several Restaurants and a Bar. The Breakfast [buffet] was a decent spread, with the usual suspects, but I’m not a breakfast person. I did appreciate the Coffee/tea in restaurant though and the nice people! There was a Poolside bar, which was really nice to hang out, but that was pretty much it.
- The "Meh" Moments: The Snack bar was okay, but nothing to write home about. The Room service [24-hour] was convenient when I couldn't drag myself downstairs, but the menu was a bit limited. Luckily, there were some good Restaurants close by.
Cleanliness and Safety: Pandemic Protocols (and My Neuroses)
Let's be honest, everyone's a little paranoid these days. I appreciated the hotel's efforts:
- Daily disinfection in common areas: Check.
- Staff trained in safety protocol: Check.
- Hand sanitizer everywhere I turned: Check.
- Rooms sanitized between stays: Another check.
- Cashless payment service was a breeze, but I would love some more options.
Things to Do and Ways to Relax: Spa Dreams (and Reality)
The Spa looked amazing. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to go for a Massage, Steamroom, Sauna, or Body scrub! I should have. They had a Swimming pool [outdoor], and Gym/fitness too!
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter
This hotel goes the extra mile when it comes to the Services and conveniences of the hotel.
- Concierge: This was a big win! The concierge was helpful, friendly, and super knowledgeable about the area. Great Luggage storage service.
- Check-in/out [express]: Fast and efficient (though I always prefer a friendly chat!).
- Laundry service was a lifesaver when the unexpected happens!
- Air conditioning in public area: Extremely important, especially in Minnesota!
- Business facilities, including Xerox/fax in business center, were available.
- Meetings and Meeting/banquet facilities were also available.
- Convenience store: Always a plus for those late-night snack attacks.
- The area had a plethora of great Food delivery options.
Final Verdict: Would I Go Back? Yes! (With a Few Caveats)
This IHG hotel near the Mall of America? A hidden gem, certainly. It’s a solid choice for anyone looking for a comfortable, convenient, and surprisingly pleasant stay. Yes, there were a few minor hiccups, but overall, it exceeded my expectations.
- The Good: Clean, well-appointed rooms, excellent accessibility, friendly staff, good amenities.
- The Not-So-Good: Internet could be a bit spotty at times, some dining options could be improved.
Overall, if you're heading to Bloomington, give this place a shot. You might just be pleasantly surprised. Just bring your own super-charged reading light.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars. (Would give it 5 if the signal was more consistent.)
SEO & Metadata Optimization:
- Keywords: Bloomington hotel, Mall of America hotel, IHG hotel, accessible hotel, Minnesota hotel review, hotel review, spa hotel, fitness center, free wifi, clean hotel, safe hotel, family-friendly hotel, business hotel, near Mall of America, Minneapolis hotel.
- Title: Bloomington's BEST Hotel? IHG's Hidden Gem Near the Mall! (My Honest Review)
- Meta Description: Unfiltered review of an IHG hotel near the Mall of America in Bloomington, MN: Accessibility, amenities, cleanliness, and all the quirks. Read before you book your stay!
- HTML Structure: (Using headings and bullet points to improve readability and keyword density.)

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into the delightfully chaotic adventure that is a stay (or a slightly extended layover, honestly) at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bloomington West by IHG. Prepare yourselves for a whirlwind of questionable decisions, unexpected joys, and enough complimentary coffee to fuel a small army of caffeine-addicted squirrels. This isn't your sterile, perfectly curated travel blog – this is the raw, unfiltered truth.
The Bloomington Blitz: A Slightly Unhinged Itinerary
Day 1: Arrival & the Bedbug Blues (Just Kidding… Mostly)
- 1:00 PM: TOUCHDOWN! (Sort of.) Landed at MSP, finally. Ugh, airport food prices. Seriously, a lukewarm pretzel and watery lemonade? Highway robbery. Found the free shuttle to the hotel. The driver, bless his heart, looked like he’d seen things. And by "things," I mean a lot of bleary-eyed travelers and their mountains of luggage. Checked in. The lobby's… well, it’s a lobby. Standard. The lady at the front desk, bless her heart, was trying to be helpful despite CLEARLY being haunted by a ghost of a particularly demanding guest from the previous night.
- 1:30 PM: Room check. Did a quick scan for bedbugs. You know, just in case. Okay, deep breath, clear. The room itself… it's fine. The air conditioner is humming like a sleepy bumblebee. The view? Let’s just say I'm looking out at a parking lot. (Cue dramatic sigh). But the bed… that bed. It’s calling to me. Begging me to abandon all responsibilities and nap.
- 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM: The Nap. Glorious, unadulterated nap. I swear, after the flight, the stress of getting my luggage out the carousel (I feel like I'm always at war with the bags that "aren't mine" at the airport) and the airport food debacle, my brain felt like a scrambled egg. Woke up feeling… slightly less like a zombie. Mission accomplished.
- 3:30 PM: Pool time! (or, the attempted pool time). The hotel boasts a pool. And a hot tub! I grab my swimsuit, my towel, and my crippling fear of public water. Arrived at the pool to discover… it was closed for maintenance. Cue another, slightly louder, sigh. Okay, new plan. Ice machine reconnaissance in the hotel.
- 4:00 PM: Discovered that the ice machine is a bit… temperamental. Spits out ice cubes at the speed of a snail on Valium. Still, got enough for my (essential) pre-dinner cocktail in my room.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner at… well, I'm not sure where yet. (It's this is a struggle of mine, finding food on the road) Probably something chain-y and safe, within walking distance. The buffet at the chain restaurant was fine. I love the salad bar.
- 8:00 PM: TV time. Channel surfing. Found a marathon of something truly awful on the Hallmark channel. (I secretly loved it, though). The remote is also temperamental. The struggle is real.
- 10:00 PM: Bedtime (again, practically). I'm a creature of habit. Still, that bed is calling me. Time to drift off to sound of the humming bumblebee air conditioner. (I really did get an urge to cuddle the AC)
Day 2: Mall of America Madness & Existential Dread
- 8:00 AM: Wake up. The complimentary breakfast. (always a bit of a roll of the dice, am I right?). The "hot" options were lukewarm. But the coffee was, surprisingly, strong. And the little pre-packaged muffins brought back a wave of childhood nostalgia. I mean, come on, did anyone actually like them?
- 9:00 AM: Shuttle to the Mall of America. Behold, the behemoth! The sheer scale of the place is mind-boggling. It's like Willy Wonka and a taxidermist had a baby. I am not a shopper. I am a window shopper, and a person who can never seem to find their way back to the same entrance after leaving.
- 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM: Mall of America: The Experience. Walked around, got lost in the labyrinth of stores (seriously, how many levels are there?!), and felt a profound sense of existential dread while watching teenagers buy brightly colored, utterly useless things. But, I did get a great (and reasonably priced) coffee.
- 12:30 PM: Lunch at the food court. More chain-restaurant-ing. Pizza was acceptable. Observed the human zoo that is the MOA food court. People-watching is, in my opinion, the best sport there is.
- 2:00 PM: The Nickelodeon Universe. So, I'm not a child. But hey, why not? Rode the Ferris wheel. Briefly questioned my life choices. Almost threw up on the roller coaster. The experience was overwhelmingly loud and bright.
- 4:00 PM: Back to the hotel. Needed a nap after the sensory overload. (I'm getting old, folks).
- 6:00 PM: Another dinner. Maybe this time, I'll be adventurous and try that place with the funny name I saw earlier. Or maybe I'll just order room service.
- 7:00 PM: Room service. The pizza was terrible. But the guy who delivered it was friendly, and the extra ketchup packets saved the day.
- 9:00 PM: Bed. The End. (Probably).
- 10:00 PM: Wake up. Realize I forgot to record my dreams. Bummer.
Day 3: Departure & The Lingering Coffee Odor
- 8:00 AM: Another complimentary breakfast. The muffins still taste weird. But the coffee… I might actually miss it.
- 9:00 AM: Packing. The most stressful part of any trip. Always forget something important and end up needing to hit a pharmacy.
- 10:00 AM: Final checks. Did I leave anything? Do I have all my chargers? Did I leave the coffee pot on? No, checked.
- 10:30 AM: The dreaded checkout. Everything went smoothly… until the front desk lady dropped the hotel's pen.
- 11:00 AM: Shuttle to the airport. Goodbye, Bloomington. Goodbye, lukewarm breakfast burritos. Goodbye, strangely comforting beige walls.
- 12:00 PM: Plane time, finally.
- 12:05 PM: Wait. Did I leave the coffee pot on?
- 12:10 PM: I forgot the chargers.
- 12:15 PM: The end.
Post Scriptum: Look, the Holiday Inn Express Bloomington West isn't the Ritz. But it got the job done. I had a bed, a shower, and enough coffee to fuel my anxieties. And sometimes, that's all you really need. Plus, the occasional weirdness, the little imperfections, and the moments of unexpected joy? Those are what make a trip, any trip, truly memorable. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go find a real shower and try to scrub that lingering smell of hotel coffee out of my brain. Farewell, brave adventurers.
London Getaway: Unwind at Residence Inn London, Ontario!
IHG's Hidden Gem in Bloomington: The Real Deal FAQs (Spoiler Alert: I'm Obsessed)
Okay, spill. Is this hotel \*really\* that great? I'm skeptical. (And honestly, a little burnt out on travel blogs.)
Location, location, location! Is it a huge pain to get to the Mall of America? Or are you just saying that?
What about the food? Because let's be honest, hotel food can be… a tragedy.
Pool time! Is the pool as sad as most hotel pools? Because chlorine and screaming children are a bad combo.
Tell me about the staff. Are they helpful? Or just pretending to be happy?
OK, so all this sounds perfect. What's the catch? There's got to be SOMETHING you didn't like.
What about cleanliness? Is it actually clean? And is it a good deal?
One last thing: Why are you *so* obsessed? Is this some kind of ad?


Post a Comment for "Bloomington's BEST Hotel? IHG's Hidden Gem Near the Mall!"